Oh Hell Yeah, Hoff and Machete Do Do Mockbusters…
Almost film parody, but usually with a shark or a dinosaur and an 1980s star, a current star or their sibling thrown in.
Sharknado 3, Oh Hell no! Extended TRAILER (HD) David Hasselhoff Sci-fi comedy 2015, JoBlo Movie Trailers, http://www.youtube.com photographs © The Asylum Syfy Films
The Asylum movies first appeared on the scene in 1997 and were founded by David M Latt, David Rimawi and Sherri Strain. These films had a blockbuster inspired plot but had an obviously cheaper budget and special effects. Mockbuster plots were close to the blockbuster, they were loosely based on such as Transmorphers (2007), The Day the Earth stopped (2008) and more recently Lord of the Elves (2012). These films never were released in the cinema and initially were often released on DVD, soon after the cinema release of the blockbuster it mocked. So, some advice before you go and rent a DVD – say for example the new Avengers movie – take the following precautions…
- Read the full title of the movie carefully. Read it again if you not sure.
- Read the blurb on the back of the box, if Thor has to help kill a shark – it is probably an Asylum movie.
- Continuing in this vein, how many heads does the shark have and what size is it? If it has more than 1 and its a mega one – you guessed it, it is probably an Asylum movie.
- Look at the cast and if you recognise the surname, check the full name at home so as not to confuse Alec Baldwin with his brothers. If it says “Film Stars Scarlett Johansson’s Twin”, sorry but it’s her twin brother…with twin and ‘s in tiny font.
- Do your homework and know your 1980s stars of both the music world – such as Debbie Gibson and Tiffany – or films of that time especially the Brat Pack ones – eg Judd Nelson. C. Thomas Howell and Anthony Michael Hall.
Lately The Asylum appear to have become more tongue in cheek, a bit like the Airplane! film of 1980 and its sequel two years later. However, the Asylum films have improved but their special effects can be repetitive but fun. The films now often have more well known, even current actors such as David Hasselhoff in the Sharknado films – aka Knight Rider (1982-86) – and 2010s Machete aka Danny Trejo in Three Headed Shark Attack /2015). The Sharknado series – the first below (in Minecraft) and the third film’s trailer is above – in particular are reaching cult status, and have so far released a spawn of at last count 4 follow-up movies with one of these in the pipeline. The mega question is however if -as my darlin’ husband suggested – Ed Wood was around today, would he have written and directed Asylum movies? And if he did, it would it be the now legendary Bela Lugosi or one of his elder siblings that would have been approached first for a part….? Methinks, Lugosi would have done it himself.
Weeper Rating: 😦 /10
Handsqueeze Rating: 🙂 🙂 🙂 /10
Bonus Trailer: Yes, in Minecraft