An Early Present for 2021, and some recognition for these sunshine bloggers who need more recognition…
As a double gift, I’m nominating these great bloggers for a double award.
It’s now Hogmanay 2020 (the day before New Year’s Day). So instead of burbling on about films with an inevitably bad Christmas or New Year pun in the title, I’m having one last (virtual) award ceremony for some amazing film and TV bloggers. 2020 was a bit of an odd year for us entertainment bloggers in general, but we film and TV bloggers rose to the lockdown challenges. We ran lockdown inspired blogathons, held socially distanced award ceremonies and found some fabulous films and TV to review that wasn’t made in 2020.
Most of us even found time to review those DVDs on our to watch and review pile, that we had forgotten about since we got obsessed with blogathons
in the last few years since starting our blog. Some bloggers even braved it all and visited the cinema. But here in my wee Finnish town I’ve been inside most of the time, (ie when Darlin Husband hasn’t encouraged me to go for a walk) learning Finnish online (for a major Finnish test, which I passed! yay!) and enjoying the hidden and not so hidden TV and Movie delights – some of which I’ve shared with you – of that video sharing channel and those streaming channels..
Now back to this post…
In the later half of this year I was awarded for two more awards, one from the wonderful Ernie, a man who knows anything and everything anime and Kristen, a new blogger (to me anyway) who has been a hostess to many a blogathon this year…
Firstly, a big thanks to Ernie from Until the Lights Go Up for my Blogger Recognition Award nomination, HERE… I’m really honoured to have been in your list of fabulous writers this year and also to have you join quite a few of my blogathons too…
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
2. Post the award banner on your blog.
3. Share the reason you started your blog.
4. Share two pieces of advice for new bloggers.
5. Nominate a maximum of 15 other bloggers.
6. Tell your nominees about the award post, so they can participate.
Answers to your Questions
I’ve shared my reason for starting this blog here… and all the information is on this page here on this fabulous award. And now for some more advice…
- Hold at least one blogathon a year… It’s a great way to meet new bloggers and learn about some great films and TV on your favourite topic be it Jack Nicholson, space or the year you were born. If you do hold a blogathon, comment on the posts and link to them rather than cut and paste them onto your blog. Why should you get all the glory for someone else’s hard work…
- Join Twitter, all the cool bloggers hang out there and it’s a great way to talk to other bloggers about random film stuff or life in general. Also it’s a good way to share your posts and gain some new readers and followers. There’s also some great film tags to join in (and shamelessly plug your work).
And here’s that supersparkly award…
and also a thank you to…
I also received a Sunshine Award from K.N. Winiarski, with her nomination HERE. I’d like to thank you for my award and for some great blogathons this year. Sadly I had to withdraw from a couple of them due to personal reasons (including that Finnish exam), but I’m glad to see you’ve made them annual so I can sign up next year… (so you now have a good idea just what I will be reviewing).
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in the blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
What is your favorite movie and why?
I love One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), Nicholson’s character has got to be one of the more inspiring movie characters of all time. If you want to know why read HERE for my review. This has to be Nicholson’s most outstanding performance.
Which remake do you think did the original justice?
The TV Show Dynasty (1981-89) without a doubt. This 1980s Soap never took itself seriously and now the Netflix reboot is just as bad for those crazy plots, frocks and cliff hangers. I’ve not seen all of the first season of the reboot yet, but I do have it on good authority that it just gets sillier and sillier in a good way…
Why did you start a blog?
What movie genre is your favorite to write about?
It has to be 70s disaster movies, they have such great all star casts, so there’s someone for everyone and outlandish plots. It’s also great to see some familiar Golden Hollywood names rubbing shoulders with someone from Buck Rogers or some random soap star. Also the behind the scenes stories on the casting and making of the film are so much fun to read too.
What actor/actress do you think is underrated?
Lee Grant, she’s given some bloody brilliant performances over the years. I am surprised she hasn’t been given more recognition for her outstanding work in film, and it’s about time she got her lifetime achievement award.
Are there any roles that you think were miscast?
I used to think Richard Gere was really miscast in Chicago (2002) but he’s kind of growing on me now. Also the casting of Robin Williams in Awakenings (1990) really annoyed me at first but after I saw the film I was happy with his performance.
How long have you been writing?
I did write a couple of poems for the school magazine when I was wee. I only really started writing consistently with this blog and I would like to think that my writing style has improved from those first reviews.
Do you write in any other areas?
I have got an idea for a novel, and now that I’ve passed my Finnish YKI test, I might just get round to writing it next year.
What actor/actress do you think is overrated?
There is one “actor comedian” who loads of people find amusing but he really annoys me. I think he’s pretty untalented and painfully unfunny. I’m not going to mention his name but I’m sure you might just know who he is, as I haven’t done a review on any of his films…
What movie has aged the worst?
The Brat Pack film, St Elmo’s Fire (1985) is now painful to watch as I liked it back then as I had a crush on Andrew McCarthy, could quote it verbatim and I liked it. Now it’s painful to watch, as I don’t even like those characters that much.. and don’t get me started on the plot. Sadly, I feel that way about Weird Science (1985) and Sixteen Candles (1984) too, so don’t expect a review on the latter any day soon.
What movie has stood the test of time? I love Somewhere in Time (1972), it’s a lovely period time travel romance about a modern day writer who falls in love with a picture of an actress from way back. He then goes back in time meet her and they… If you want to know more read HERE or read HERE if you don’t want to know. Yes, I love it so much I reviewed it twice, and who wouldn’t with Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer in the cast.
And here’s that groovy award…
My awards go to… in no particular order
A Scunner Darkly for being Scottish, and for his Scottishness in his reviews.
Taking Up Room for being a good blogging pal.
Thoughts All Sorts for the above and putting up with my chocolate whims…
A Shroud of Thoughts for his lovely heartwarming tributes.
Angelmans Place for his great choice in films of all sorts.
Cinema Essentials for his spot on reviews of British films from my childhood.
Pfeiffer Pfilms and Meg Movies for his supportive comments with a British understanding.
Silver Screenings for being as random as me.
Emma K Wall (Explains it All) for all those cake and Jason Statham memories…
No Nonsense at Nuwan Sen for just making it feel ok for not blogging every day.
Maniacs and Monsters for being my favourite Horror double act.
Classic Film and TV Cafe for his insightful tweets..
The JHL Collective for his love of similar films.
Cinematic Catharsis for being my blogging host partner in crime..
and for Ken from Le Cinema Dreams for his lovely Hollywood stories.. (and blog)
So now over to you guys…
Here’s your questions…
- Have you ever met a celebrity somewhere random?
- Have you ever had a celebrity write to you in response to your fan letter?
- What’s your favourite advert with an actor or actress.?
- If you could ghostwrite a celebrity’s autobiography with their permission who would it be?
- Have you ever been on telly or in a movie?
- Who was your first film or TV love?
- You are allowed to snog, marry or avoid three movie or TV stars.. who are they?
- If you could give out an Oscar which category would it be for..?
- Who would you like to accompany to the Oscars?
- Which film would you watch again and again?
- What’s your favourite TV Movie?
I’d now like to send my best wishes to all of you and everyone else for a fantastic and safe 2021… and tune in soon for another blogathon announcement.